Karen Haga Lawyers

Get in touch with us

phone iconCall us

Suite 24, 15 Terminus Street, Castle Hill

Grandparents and the Family Law Act

Are you a grandparent who has their grandchildren in their care and needs some legal recognition of this? Are you are grandparent who has concerns about the care and welfare of your grandchildren in their current home environment? Are you a grandparent who was spending time with your grandchildren and your child or their spouse/partner/ex-partner has stopped your time with your grandchildren?

If you are a grandparent and you experience one or some of these issues, the Family Law Act can be relied upon to help you. Under the Family Law Act, section 65C provides that a parenting order can be applied for by:

  1. either of both of the child’s parents; or
  2. the child; or
  3. a grandparent of the child; or
  4. any other person concerned with the care, welfare or development of the child.

As a grandparent you can apply for the court to make an order regarding your grandchildren including but not limited to orders providing for you grandchildren to live with you or spend time with you.

If you need advice about your grandchildren’s best interests and their relationships with you please contact one of our Family Law specialists at Karen Haga & Associates.